Best Overhead Drum Mics offers a professional performance with extremely low noise and full frequency response at a very attractive price. If you’ve figured out how to mic your drums for a phase performance or a recording, you can’t truly go for just any type of microphone. You do need to ensure you get the best expense drum mics. Anything that’s of much less top quality will just result in a calamity.
For professionals as well as workshop experts, the gold criterion of what produces the best is the classic Neumann SKM 184. If you can afford that or you’re establishing your recording studio, then that’s what you require to obtain for your drums. It’s exceptional, however, it’s the kind of quality that includes a high rate.
Considering that not all of us can afford such a sector requirement, we’ve assembled a listing of still excellent alternatives that include comparable performance however with a more palatable price tag.
Our Top Picks
|Behringer C-2 2 Matched Studio Condenser...
|Buy on Amazon
|Phenyx Pro PDM35 Overhead Condenser Drum Mic,...
|Buy on Amazon
|Samson Pencil Condenser Microphones, Silver (SAM...
|Buy on Amazon
|Shure SM57 Dynamic Instrument Microphone
|Buy on Amazon
|Rode M5 Matched Pair,Black
|Buy on Amazon
Finest Picks of Overhead Drum Mics
1: Rode M5 Compact 1/2 ″ Condenser Microphone
- Small-diaphragm Matched Pair Cardioid Condenser Microphones
- English (Publication Language)
This is sold as a matched pair, to make sure that you can have and also tape your audio in real stereo. The mics have been thoroughly chosen to ensure that they will not differ more than 1dB in level of sensitivity. It’s an Aussie brand name with a tiny diaphragm, and it’s versatile and sufficient for drums and also violins.
As this is a cardioid mic, it can provide low-noise sound. Yet it also supplies a complete regularity action, so it can capture the deep thrum of the bass in addition to the sharp sound of the cymbals. You can also use this to make the audience.
It’s extremely portable for portability, and it comes with a unique ceramic layer to give its streamlined matte surface. It likewise includes its own RM5 standplaces in addition to WS5 windscreens.
It will give you the top-quality sound you want, whether you’re doing it for an audience or in a recording studio. It’s fairly durable also.
- Matched pair of small-diaphragm condenser microphones
- Full frequency response and wide dynamic range
- Compact and durable design for easy placement
- Low noise and high SPL handling capability
- A matched pair ensures consistent sound across the drum kit
- Clear and detailed sound reproduction
- Compact size allows for easy positioning and minimal visual impact
- Suitable for capturing both individual drums and cymbals
- Might require additional mics for capturing specific drum kit elements in detail.
2: Samson C02 Pencil Condenser Microphones
- Cardioid Pickup Pattern
- Gold-plated XLR connectors
This is also sold as a stereo pair with a cardioid polar pattern. The polar pattern guarantees that it will only catch the sound that comes from a very slim location in front of it. This indicates you do not record ambient room noise or the songs created by various other tools on phase or in the room. You likewise don’t need to take care of monitors that can trigger mic comments.
Its regularity reaction is also extremely vast, which works well for your drums. It’s wide enough to suit various other tools, consisting of acoustic guitars, flutes, and heralds. You can utilize this for vocals as well. The tiny diaphragm enables you to record the high notes without difficulty. It’s great for cymbals in addition to violins.
This is set up with transportability in mind. Apart from its compact dimension and also low weight, it likewise features a helpful carrying case. This even comes with a collection of shock-mounted mic clips so establishing the mics isn’t an issue.
The actual shock here is that its quality is quite outstanding, yet the cost is shockingly reduced. It seems too good to be real. However, with this, you do obtain a lot of worth for your money.
- Pencil condenser microphones with super cardioid pickup pattern
- Gold-plated XLR connectors for optimal conductivity
- High SPL handling capability for close miking
- Suitable for both studio recording and live applications
- Supercardioid pattern helps isolate drum sounds from other sources
- Gold-plated connectors ensure reliable connectivity
- Versatile miking options for various drum kit configurations
- Durable build for consistent performance over time
- Supercardioid patterns might require precise placement for optimal results.
3: Rode NT1-A-MP Stereo Matched Set
- Large 1” capsule with gold plated diaphragm. Maximum SPL is 137 dBSPL
- Cardioid polar pattern; True condenser (externally biased)
Right here’s an additional pair of mics, which must inform you now that a solitary mic doesn’t work if you’re establishing mics for your drums. It’s a bit on the pricey side, yet that’s justified by its premium quality as well as superb functions.
First off, this features a large gold-plated diaphragm. It supplies outstanding quality, with an incredible bass response to support its ability to capture the intensity of your cymbals. With its large dynamic variety, it’s not restricted to just your drums. You can utilize this to mic your other tools. Numerous also use this as a singing microphone.
It’s not simply functional, however, it’s likewise capable of accurate recordings. It includes incredibly low distortion so you record what the songs sound like.
Another special characteristic of the Rode NT1-A is that it has an extremely low self-noise level. It’s actually among the quietest microphones in the whole world. Its cardioid polar pattern truly concentrates on the audio coming right before it. It does not get ambient noise, nor does it capture the noises made by various other tools on phase.
It’s also not all that hefty as well as large, so it’s portable also. It’s fairly hard also, as the mic bod has nickel plating.
- Matched pair of cardioid condenser microphones
- Low self-noise and wide dynamic range
- Ideal for stereo recording and capturing room ambiance
- Suitable for drum overheads and other studio applications
- The matched pair offers balanced stereo recording capabilities
- Low self-noise ensures minimal interference with recordings
- The cardioid pattern focuses on the drum kit while reducing background noise
- Versatile for capturing drum kit details and overall soundscapes
- Might not be optimized solely for drum kit overheads.
4: Shure KSM141/SL Dual-Pattern
- Cardioid or omnidirectional polar pattern, ultra-thin diaphragm, transformer less Preamplifier circuitry
- Switchable pad (25dB, 15dB) for very high input SPL sources
This can be offered separately, though as a set you can get a discount. This is likewise quite pricey, but it offers features you do not obtain from other mics.
To start with, this includes a dual-polar pattern. You can utilize it as a cardioid mic so you just catch the noise made by what’s right in front of it. Or you can use it as an omnidirectional mic so you can record all the sounds coming from all directions.
This additionally utilizes a tiny diaphragm, to ensure that it can catch sharp noises faithfully. Its transformer-less preamplifier likewise helps make sure that you do not suffer from any kind of distortion whatsoever. It additionally features a subsonic filter that greatly reduces the low-frequency rumble you can receive from any type of mechanical resonance.
With this, you have a switchable pad so you can deal with very high sound stress levels. The switchable low-frequency filter can also aid in lessening the background noise
All these functions permit you to utilize these mics for an incredibly vast array of tools, including acoustic instruments, winds, low-frequency instruments like basses, and coral reefs ensembles.
- Dual-pattern condenser microphone (cardioid and omnidirectional)
- Class A, transformerless preamplifier circuitry
- Switchable patterns for versatile recording options
- Low self-noise and extended frequency response
- The dual-pattern design allows flexibility in capturing various drum kit setups
- Transformerless preamp circuitry ensures clean and transparent sound
- Suitable for both close miking and ambient recording
- Well-suited for capturing drum kits and other instruments
- Switchable patterns might require careful adjustment for optimal results.
5: Sennheiser MD 441-U
- Accurate and versatile dynamic microphone with integral pop filter, perfect for vocals and virutally every instrument
- Precise and distortion-free reproduction even at the highest sound pressure levels
Currently unlike the others, this isn’t a condenser mic but a dynamic one. That implies it is difficult as well as won’t warp easily. However, it also provides the accuracy and vibrant variety you would certainly anticipate from a condenser mic.
Part of its excellence is due to its super-cardioid polar pattern. This indicates that it only gets the noise from a much slimmer variety in front of it.
Also has several setups so that you can establish it up to best suit your audio setting. It has a 5-position radio frequency shape switch, in addition to a 2-position high-frequency switch.
It also lessens noise exceptionally well and comes with a damped inner shock suspension together with a hum-bucking coil.
- Dynamic microphone with super-cardioid pickup pattern
- Excellent feedback rejection and off-axis sound attenuation
- Durable metal construction for rugged use
- Suitable for capturing drums and other high-SPL sources
- Supercardioid pattern isolates drum sounds effectively
- Excellent feedback rejection makes it suitable for live performances
- Durable build ensures reliability in demanding environments
- Dynamic design handles high-SPL sources without distortion
- As a dynamic microphone, it might not capture the same level of detail as condenser microphones.
Why Do You Need Expenses Drum Mics?
The mics need to be above for the straightforward reason that there’s nothing else location for them. You can not have them right beside you, given that they would certainly just be in the way.
There are 2 basic reasons why you would certainly need a collection of overhanging mics. The first reason is to videotape your beats. You can after that use it to blend with other tools or edit the beat with your music-modifying software.
The other primary reason for mics is to forecast the sound over a bigger area. Certain, drums are loud instruments. But also for stadiums, mics are certainly going to be required to ensure that every person can hear them.
Why are overhead drum microphones important in drum recording?
Overhead drum microphones play a crucial role in drum recording as they capture the overall sound and ambiance of the drum kit. They provide a clear representation of the kit’s spatial characteristics, cymbal nuances, and the interaction between different drum components.
What features should I look for in the best overhead drum microphones?
When selecting overhead drum microphones, consider features like microphone type (condenser or dynamic), pickup pattern (cardioid, super cardioid, omnidirectional), SPL handling capacity, durability, and whether they come as a matched pair for stereo recording.
How does the choice between condenser and dynamic microphones impact drum recording?
Condenser microphones are known for their sensitivity and ability to capture detailed nuances, making them ideal for capturing the subtleties of cymbals and higher-frequency elements. Dynamic microphones are rugged and can handle high sound pressure levels (SPL), making them suitable for capturing the overall drum kit’s power and impact.
What are some advantages of using a matched pair of overhead drum microphones?
Using a matched pair of overhead drum microphones ensures consistent sound quality across the stereo field. This is crucial for capturing an accurate stereo image and preserving the balance between the left and right channels in drum recordings.
How do different pickup patterns in overhead drum microphones affect the recording process?
Different pickup patterns offer varying degrees of sound isolation and room ambiance capture. Cardioid patterns focus on the source while reducing background noise, making them ideal for isolating drum sounds. Supercardioid and omnidirectional patterns offer different levels of room sound and ambient capture, allowing for creative recording approaches.
Get the Sennheiser. This is one more terrific example of German engineering, and the Sennheiser MD 441-U won’t allow you down. It’s used by experts throughout the globe, as well as you obtain your money’s worth and extra. It can be used for numerous applications and instruments, it consistently records just what you want, and also it reduces sound very well. It may be a little bit costly, but with proper care, it will certainly last you for a lifetime. Among the best overhead drum mics, this is the market criterion you can get without breaking the financial institution.
You can refer to many of our products at the homepage: thewytches.com